Intensive care and home ventilation
Patients who are on a ventilator or require intensive care often stay in the clinic for a long time. A transition to home care often does not seem feasible at first. In many cases, however, a self-determined life in one’s own home is also possible despite the disturbance of vital functions or strong physical handicaps.
Our intensive care teams consist exclusively of certified caregivers with appropriate training and experience in intensive care medicine. We offer every type of care – from hourly care to 24-hour care. For round-the-clock care, we work in a three-shift system. This also protects our care specialists from excessive demands.
Thanks to our decentralised organisational structure, we can offer home intensive care and home ventilation within a 30 km radius of our outpatient locations.
- Diseases of the upper airways (e.g. craniofacial malformations, paresis of the vocal cords)
- Chronic lung diseases (e.g. COPD, cystic fibrosis)
- Skeletal deformities (e.g. kyphosoliosis, thoracic wall deformities)
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Spinal cord injuries
- Congenital central hypoventilation syndrome (Ondine’s Curse)
- Acquired central hypoventilation syndrome (e.g. Arnold-Chiari malformation, brain stem tumours, trauma, haemorrhaging).
- Care of coma patients, apallic syndrome
- Palliative situations
- For many other disease patterns
Possible care services
- Basic care (body care, nutrition) and prophylaxis
- Respiratory care
- Special patient observation (up to 24 hours a day)
- Special care (e.g. tracheostoma, aspiration, and operation of various technical aids)
- Monitoring and care of catheters and drainages necessary for therapy
- Operation and monitoring of infusers, perfusers, and pain pumps
- Necessary initial measures in emergencies (e.g. manual ventilation using emergency ventilation bags and resuscitation measures)
- Cleaning and disinfection of medical equipment at fixed intervals and monitoring of maintenance intervals
- Psychosocial care for the person in need of care as well as their relatives
- Guidance and training of relatives